Island Park History
Nokonoshima Island Park began with the dream of one young man.
He thought that from that time on, concrete buildings will rise in the city one after another, and people who work there will seek nature to bring rest to their weary minds. Nokonoshima is not far from downtown Fukuoka. Thus Mr. Kosaku started to develop a park on the island, taking advantage of its scenery, and through trial and error started building Island Park from scratch.
April 1969, the 44th year of the Showa Period. Island Park opens!
In order to create a park that would best utilize the wonderful views and terrain features, an expert was hired to draw up a plan.
Then, on the land that only sweet potatoes used to occupy, rhododendrons, lawn grass and other plants were grown by hand. On the 2nd of April 1969, the 44th year of the Showa Period, Nokonoshima Island Park was opened to the public.
No roller coasters or other amusement rides! The vision is a nature park with flowers and trees!
Let the children run around to their heart’s content, let families eat their boxed lunches together and may everyone spend time at their own pace, surrounded by nature.
After developing the rough land, planting trees and sowing flowers, the newly constructed park became a beloved place where among nature many visitors could slow down and relax, a true nature park.
Timeline of Nokonoshima Island Park (Kubota Tourism Company)
|1941||The family of the founder (Kosaku Kubota, 7 years old at the time) moves to Nokonoshima.|
|1941||Nokonoshima becomes a part of Fukuoka City administratively. New Chinese characters are chosen for the name of the island.|
|1952||First electric lights on the island.|
|1953||Kosaku (19 at the time) decides to abandon agriculture in favor of developing a tourist park.|
|1953||Sweet potato fields are gradually removed while rhododendrons and juniper are being planted.|
|1956||Lighthouse Camping Village (a predecessor of the current Camping Village) opens.
First private cars and three-wheelers are purchased on the island.
|1958||Kosaku Kubota and Mutsuko get married.|
|1966||The Kubota Tourist Company is founded.|
|1967||Lighthouse Camping Village is moved and renamed “Odomari Camping Village.”|
|1969||Nokonoshima Island Park opens.|
|1971||City Ferry starts cruising.
The “Nokomaru” is put into service.
|1974||The writer Kazuo Dan moves to Nokonoshima.|
|1976||Kazuo Dan passes away. (The following year a monument celebrating his writing is erected and memorial services commence).|
|1978||Youngsters Carnival starts (currently known as Spring Vacation Sketch Competition).|
|1979||Cosmos flower field is created in Island Park.|
|1979||The free-standing lodging complex “Village of the Sakimori” is constructed.|
|1983||To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the park opening, the “Memory Lane” is born.|
|1983||First all-night live concert takes place on the cosmos field.|
|1984||“Isao Nishijima’s Warabekan Gallery” is constructed.|
|1984||Nokonokoball is born.|
|1984||Kosaku is awarded the Medal of Hakata Merchant Culture.|
|1988||Nokonoshima is linked to the Nishitetsu bus system.|
|1996||Nishinippon Newspaper publishes “Developing the Island,” a series Kosaku’s transcribed memoires.|
|1998||“Shimaya” is opened in commemoration of the 30th park opening anniversary.|
|1999||New president of the company (Kosaku Kubota becomes the chairman of the board of the directors)|
|2005||Chairman Kosaku Kubota passes away|
|2007||Expansion of the recreation complex: Nokonoshima Camping Village and beach.|
The book is sold at the entrance to the park.